Wednesday 16 February 2011

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

The distributor of my magazine would have a very important role as it is the job of the distributor to attract the target audience. This is done through marketing, advertising and then distribution to sale outlets. Because of this I would ideally like to use a leading publisher/distributor, such as Conde Nast. I think self publishing like the magazine Clash would be too much of a risk for my magazine. Although my magazine is a music magazine (and music magazines are known as less classy and conventional than most magazines), because it is also a fashion magazine it still holds a sense of class and elegance, so it would go very well in Conde Nast's collection of classy publications. Because of this, my magazine would get credibility by association and possibly by being advertised in Conde Nast's other brands such as Vogue, Glamour, Vanity Fair. Although Conde Nast already publishes a variety of fashion magazines it hasn't yet sold a mixture of a fashion and music magazine so my magazine would be different as it focuses on the music industry as well as fashion  so therefore would get a whole new target audience which will be an advantage for Conde Nast as well as it would expand their market having appealed to a new audience. Having a large company such as Conde Nast publishing Vanity would ensure greater distributions and therefore sales. Conde Nast has distribution agreements with outlets in the UK and internationally - for example, you can pick up a copy of Vogue everywhere from WHSmiths to Tesco. And the more places my magazine is being sold, the more sales it is likely to have.
          However, even though Conde Nast may be able to publish and distribute my magazine, there is obviously going to be a price for this. Being with a big company like Conde Nast could affect my editorial independence and the company may make me pay as much attention to advertisers as I do to my target audience in order to maximise my profits. Magazines make money form the cover price and advertising and Conde Nast would find it easier to secure advertising for Vanity than I would because of their position in the publishing world. Because my magazine is a mixture of music and fashion, a lot of advertisers would be interested in my magazine and I imagine that it will be full of fashion and music ads that will suit my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment